I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day. I guess I made these cookies as an “alternative” V-Day treat (and to be honest with you, they were for my mom and dad who I love very much). These cookies were inspired by that delicious puffy little italian cookie called Ginetti. I wanted something light, fluffy and flakey with a hint of sweetness. These babies are sweetened with agave and the lemon zest adds such a nice flavour. These are perfect with a nice cup of tea and can be served on any occasion – not just Valentine’s Day! For a yummy gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and vegan treat, make these for your special someone (or for yourself!)
-1 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
-1/2 cup blanched ground almonds
-1/4 cup agave nectar
-1/3 cup melted coconut oil
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-Pinch of sea salt
-1/4 cup dried cranberries
-1 tbsp fresh lemon zest (about one large lemon)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix your flours, baking soda and salt until there are no clumps.
3) In a second bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, agave, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
4) Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine all together until a greasy dough forms. Fold in your dried cranberries.
5) With your hands, roll the dough into small bite-sized cookies (I made mine about the size of a tablespoon). When they are all done, top with more cranberries by pressing one or two onto the tops of the cookies.
6) Bake the cookies for 13 – 14 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool for 15 minutes before eating.