I had no idea what streusel actually consisted of until I made these muffins. In case you didn’t know, streusel is the crumbly topping that is sometimes found on pastries and deserts, and is typically made from butter, flour, and sugar (it is so so delicious). I decided to try making my own batch of streusel type muffins that are gluten free, dairy free and vegan. If you’re a banana fan and are intrigued by trying to make your own streusel topping, then these guys are perfect for you to try. The end result is a sweet, cinnamony muffin topped with a yummy crumbly topping. The ingredient list for these muffins is lengthy but that’s only because they are packed with goodness.
For the muffins:
-1 cup all purpose gluten free baking flour
-1/3 cup millet flour (you could also use almond flour)
-2 tbsp group chia seeds
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/3 cup dark brown sugar
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 ripe bananas
-1/3 cup agave
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-1/2 cup melted coconut oil
-2 tbsp almond milk (or soy, coconut, rice)
For the streusel:
-1/2 cup all purpose gluten free baking powder
-3 tbsp brown sugar
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-Handful of gluten free oats – about 1/2 cup (optional but recommended!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix all together (flour, chia, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar).
3. Combine the wet ingredients into a bowl and mix together (bananas, agave, vanilla, almond milk, melted coconut oil). Make sure the bananas are nicely mashed up.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and mix until a nice batter forms.
5. Pour the batter into a muffin tray. Make sure the tray is sprayed with oil, or alternatively you can use muffin/cupcake liners.
6. Put the tray aside and begin making the streusel. It is so easy! Just combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and oats into a bowl and mix all together until a thick batter forms. Place a spoonful of the streusel on top the batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes, or until the sides turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe makes 12 delicious streusel muffins.